(Monthly city magazine covering Southwest Florida)
Digital Media Manager, March 2018-current
- Develop and implement digital strategy for Gulfshore Life and Gulfshore Business publications.
- Oversee websites, social media and e-newsletters. Create content for GulfshoreLife.com and GulfshoreBusiness.com
- Coordinate with editorial, marketing and sales departments in creating robust digital presence.
Senior editor, May 2015-March 2018
- Edit, wrote and generated story ideas for print magazine.
- Served as digital editor, overseeing website, e-newsletters and social media.
- Worked with outside organizations to develop custom publications.
Florida Gulf Coast University journalism program
Adjunct instructor, Jan. 2016-current
- Teach discussion section of news literacy class.
University of Missouri School of Journalism
Graduate instructor, Aug. 2013-May 2015
- Taught section of introductory journalism class (J2100).
- Developed lesson plans, worked with students and graded papers.
(NPR affiliate in Columbia, Missouri)
Shift editor, Feb.-May 2015
- Worked with student editors to generate story ideas and edit copy for radio.
(Alt-weekly newspaper covering Columbia, Missouri, with 10,000 circulation)
Digital managing editor, summer 2014
- Maintained Voxmagazine.com and managed uploading of content to site.
- Ran Facebook and Twitter feeds and compiled weekly analytics reports.
Web re-launch team, spring 2014
- Served in leadership position on five-person team to re-launch publication’s website.
- Worked closely with faculty editors to plan re-launch and assigned tasks to team members.
American Society of News Editors
(Nonprofit journalism organization based in Columbia, Missouri)
Part-time assistant, summer 2014
- Maintained SchoolJournalism.org and 1forAll.us.
- Ran Facebook and Twitter feeds for both pages.
The Columbia Missourian
(Six-day-per-week newspaper covering Columbia, Missouri, with 6,000 circulation)
Outreach Team, fall 2013
- Specialized in social media, website analytics and community engagement.
The Island Packet and Beaufort Gazette
(Daily newspapers based in Bluffton, South Carolina, with 32,000 circulation)
Features Production Editor, Sept. 2012-Aug. 2013
- Helped assign and edit stories, posted content to the website and managed social media.
- Worked closely with features editor to develop coverage for section in print and online.
- Managed section when editor was absent.
Features reporter, June 2006-Sept. 2012
- Specialized in arts, culture and food reporting.
- Maintained a blog that covered local food scene.
- Developed ideas for multimedia features to complement stories.
News reporter, June 2005-June 2006
- Covered police, local government and health. Produced about five stories per week.
Food Network Magazine
Stringer, Jan. 2009-June 2012
- Pitched story ideas for “50 Best” annual sections.
Suburban News Publications, Columbus, Ohio
(Weekly newspaper chain with 285,000 circulation)
News reporter, Dec. 2003-June 2005
- Covered local government and education in suburban Central Ohio. Produced about seven stories per week.
(Monthly city magazine of Washington, D.C.)
Editorial intern, summer 2003
- Fact checked monthly magazine. Wrote occasional features for website.
University of Maryland, The Diamondback
(Daily student newspaper with a readership of 30,000)
Opinion editor, spring 2003
- Edited columns, wrote editorials and laid out daily editorial page.
Columnist, fall 2002
- Wrote opinion columns every other week
Beat reporter, fall 1999-spring 2001
- Covered health, university administration and diversity beats.
The Columbus Dispatch
News intern, summer 2002
- Wrote general assignment stories.
The Baltimore Sun, Carroll County Bureau
News intern, spring 2002
- Wrote general assignment stories.
Capital News Service, Annapolis, Maryland.
(Wire service run by the University of Maryland with 50 clients)
Education beat reporter, fall 2001
- Covered education and the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks on Washington, D.C.
Master of Arts in Convergence Journalism, Missouri School of Journalism, University of Missouri, May 2015
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Philip Merrill College of Journalism, University of Maryland, May 2003
Florida Magazine Association, open division, best website, silver award, 2017
South Carolina Press Association, under 20,000 circulation, lifestyle feature writing, first place, 2012
South Carolina Press Association, under 20,000 circulation, lifestyle feature writing, first place, 2011
Ohio Society of Professional Journalists, under 100,000 circulation, consumer reporting, second place, 2006
South Carolina Press Association, under 26,000 circulation, humor column writing, third place, 2006
Co-chair of digital track of 2017 and 2018 City and Regional Magazine Association conference
Screener judge for 2017 Online News Association Awards
Member of American Society of Journalists and Authors